In today's medical technology, additive manufacturing of individual and standard implants as well as medical devices provides significant benefits, ranging from important medical to economical aspects.
Our specialization in medical implants from titanium
FIT production has specialized in medical implants made of biocompatible titanium alloys (Grade 2 and Grade 5) by Electron Beam Melting (EBM) designed for bone replacement. A bone replacement implant is e.g. required when a section of bone is missing and the gap needs to be filled in, for example following an accident or after the removal of a tumor. Our manufacturing processes for artificial bone replacements are thoroughly monitored to fulfill the European guidelines for the production of medical devices as determined in EN ISO 13485 as well as the US-American FDA.
Speaking of medical advantages, it's two aspects that make the difference: Extremely short lead times (average 1–2 weeks instead of 6–8 weeks by conventional technology) and the specific properties of additively manufactured implants. It's in particular the process-related rough and porous surface and the complex structures of our implants that allow for an improved bone ingrowth (osseointegration). This contributes to avoid common problems like loose and unstable implants and to shorten rehabilitation time.
Specific Advantages of Additive Manufacturing for Medical Implants
Medical implants by additive manufacturing from FIT production offer many advantages to patients, physicians, and hospitals—before, during, and after surgery:
BEFORE implant surgery: significantly shorter lead times
- Significant reduction of waiting time spent in hospital until implant is available
- Less stress on patient as undue waiting times mean pain and suffering as well as psychological stress, forced immobility leads to deterioration of bone quality and heightens the risk of bedsore and decubitus ulcer
- Lowered costs for hospitals and health insurances
DURING implant surgery: perfectly adjustable bone replacements
- Significant reduction of surgery duration as individually designed implants can be inserted exactly into the bone defect
- Minimal invasive surgery through targeted operation
- Highest possible preservation of healthy bone
- No autologous bone graft, that is, no second surgical extraction field
- Lowered complication rate
- Less stress on hospital staff
AFTER implant surgery: improved osseointegration and general physical recovery
- Improved primary implant stability
- Lower risk of rejection and other complications
- Accelerated rehabilitation
- Restoration of original functionality and appearance
- Improvement of quality of life for patients
- Lower total cost for hospitals and health insurances
It is our ambition to meet even extremely short delivery deadlines.
We combine flexibility and reliability.
Click here for a non-binding quote!